Obtaining accurate business intelligence to support data-driven decision-making is a challenging but essential task for optimising corporate strategies and gaining a competitive advantage. The WISDOM (Web Intelligence for Improved Decision Making) project draws upon methods from the field of web intelligence to address this challenge.
In the WISDOM project we integrate data from news media and social sources, develop context-aware information extraction techniques to identify stakeholders and their sentiment towards emerging trends, and provide novel performance and reliability metrics that enhance decision-making processes.
ProjectWISDOM: Web Intelligence for Improved Decision Making
LeadSwiss Institute for Information Research (SII) More about Swiss Institute for Information Research (SII)
Project LeaderWeichselbraun Albert More about Weichselbraun Albert
TeamWeichselbraun Albert More about Weichselbraun Albert Semar Wolfgang More about Semar Wolfgang
Research fieldsData Analytics More about Data Analytics
FundingInnosuisse (Commission for Technology and Innovation KTI), Orell Füssli Wirtschaftsinformationen AG (Infocube)
DurationJune 2012 – November 2013
- 22 January 2014 – the final project presentation (slides) has been performed in Chur and the project results have been submitted to the CTI.
- The project team thanks all partners and collaborators for their contributions and their trust in the project idea and project team.
- 20 November 2013 – the WISDOM project has been presented at the Future Expo (directory of exhibitors) at the Swiss Innovation Forum (SIF) in Basel.
- 13 June 2013 – the Rector's Conference of the Swiss Universities of Applied Sciences (KFH) has selected the WISDOM project as one of the three research projects to be presented at the Swiss Innovation Forum (SIF) in November 2013.
- 28 Mai 2013 – WISDOM progress meeting in Chur
- 2 April 2013 – the Seventh International Conference on Knowledge Capture (KCAP-2013) that will take place in Banff, Canada has accepted the WISDOM research paper “Knowledge Capture from Multiple Online Sources with the Extensible Web Retrieval Toolkit (eWRT)”.
- 24 March 2013 – the research paper “Rule-based Opinion Target and Aspect Extraction to Acquire Affective Knowledge” has been accepted for publication at the First WWW Workshop on Multidisciplinary Approaches to Big Social Data Analysis (MABSDA 2013) which will take place in in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- 28 February 2013 – the project team has submitted the second project report to the Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI).
- 7 January 2013 – the article “Extracting and Grounding Context-Aware Sentiment Lexicons”, describing the WISDOM sentiment analysis component has been accepted for publication in IEEE Intelligent Systems.
- 12 December 2012 – we have completed the development of a Gate-compatible JSON-based annotation format for data exchange between WISDOM and third-party applications.
- 29 October 2012 – WISDOM progress meeting in Chur
- 24 October 2012 – the first WISDOM web services are now available at noah.fh-fhgr.ch.
- 19 September 2012 – we have set up an OpenRDF Sesame Triplestore with data from geonames, DBpedia and our industry partner.
- 31 August 2012 – we have submitted the first project report to the Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI).
- 1 June 2012 – official project start.
- 29 May 2012 – WISDOM project-opening meeting.
Besides staff members of the University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons the following people participated in the project:
- Denis De Mesmaeker
- Heidi Hug
- Benjamin Schudel
- Trefzger Serge
- Daniel Streiff (former University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons)
- Thomas Weinhold (former University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons)
- Stefan Zollinger
The WISDOM project is funded by the Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs (FDEA) Innosuisse (Commission for Technology and Innovation CTI). The project partners include the University of Applied Sciences University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons (Swiss Institute for Information Science SII), and the Infocube portal that is operated byOrell Füssli Wirtschaftsinformationen AG.