Information for international students - University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons

International studies
Information for international students
Exchange students

Exchange students

Students from partner universities are invited to spend an exchange semester or an entire academic year studying at University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons.

Free-mover students whose home universities do not have an exchange agreement with University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons are also welcome to study with us. Free movers pay tuition fees of CHF 1550 per semester.

Blog of the International Office

Get first-hand information from our students and the staff of the International Office. In our blog, you will find articles about the exchange semester, life in Chur, Switzerland and much more.

Application info

Application deadline

Fall semester 2021:
Nomination deadline: 7 May 2021
Application deadline: 15 May 2021              

Spring semester 2022:
Nomination deadline: 15 November2021
Application deadline: 30 November2021

Step 1 - Nomination
Partner universities nominate students by email and provide the following information:

  • name of student
  • study programme at University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons
  • e-mail
  • age
  • nationality

Step 2 - Application
Students e-mail their application documents to:

Step 3 – Next steps

  • University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons reviews the application dossier, gives feedback about the provisional learning agreement and sends students an official letter of acceptance.
  • Students are sent information about housing and are requested to send several documents for their visa and residence permit application.
  • Students are allocated a Swiss “buddy” to help them with any questions about living and studying in Chur.
  • The International Office sends information about the mandatory “welcome days” which take place two days before the start of the semester.

Courses for incoming students

The University of Applied of the Grisons teaches Tourism at bachelor and master level in English. There are also several General Management courses taught in English at Master’s level.

In addition, we offer Media and Digital Business students the English-taught Creative Media and Digital Innovation-programme, which is available in the Autumn semester. 

All other study programmes are taught in German. 

Course lists 2021/2022

English-taught programmes



German-taught programmes


  • Architecture
  • Business
  • Civil Engineering
  • Computational and Data Sciences
  • Digital Business Management
  • Information Science
  • Mobile Robotics
  • Multimedia Production
  • Photonics
  • Service Design and Innovation*
  • Sport Management


  • New Business*
  • Information and Data Management*

* Some modules are taught in English

Language requirements

For study programmes taught in English, the required minimum language level is B2. For programmes taught in German, the required language level is C1.

EU/EFTA nationals can either provide a language diploma or their language tutor can confirm their level using a language assessment form.

Non-EU nationals are required to submit an official language diploma for visa application purposes. The following language diplomas are recognised:

  • English: IELTS/TOEFL/FCE/CAE/BEC Vantage/BEC Higher
  • German: DSH Level 3/Goethe-Zertifikat C1

Semester dates

Autumn semester: 20 September 2021 to 11 February 2022
(Creative Media & Digital Innovation programme starts on 13/09/21)
Spring semester: 21 February to 8 July 2022
Mandatory welcome days: 2 days before the semester starts.

Please find the detailed semester dates in our academic calendar.

Mobility grants

Exchange students from University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons’s European Erasmus+ partner universities are given a mobility grant funded by the Swiss-European Mobility Programme.
This project is financially supported by Movetia. Movetia promotes exchange, mobility and cooperation within the fields of education, training and youth work – in Switzerland, Europe and worldwide. 

DK, FI, IS, IE, LI, LU, NO, SE, UK = CHF 1900 per semester

AT, BE, BG, CY, CZ, DE, EE, ES, FR, GR, HR, HU, IT, LT, LV, MK, MT, NL, PL, PT, RO, RS, SI, SK, TR = CHF 2200 per semester

Exchange students from partner universities outside of the European Union are provided with a mobility grant funded by the University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons. For the academic year 2021/22 this amount is CHF 1000.

As part of the initiative to make Exchange and Mobility greener, a «Green Travel Top-Up» of CHF 100 is now available to students who travel to and from their destination using a means of transport generating lower CO2 emissions than the plane. Movetia’s Greener Mobility kit gives students helpful tips and links for sustainable travel.

Degree students

Degree students

International degree-seeking students can complete their entire bachelor’s or master’s studies at University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons.

University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons teaches Tourism in English at bachelor's and master's level. All other degree programmes at University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons are taught in German.

To find out about the specific admission requirements, prospective students should refer to the respective web page of the study programme. Applicants with foreign university entrance qualifications should contact the admissions team of the respective study programme for advice about recognition.

The international office offers advice on non-academic issues.



COVID-19 entry restrictions

Entry restrictions for foreigners may apply. Visit the website of the Federal Office of Public Health for further information:

Residence permit

International students are required to have a residence permit for the duration of their studies in Switzerland. The International Office contacts students prior to their arrival in Switzerland to request supporting documents and applies for the residence permit on their behalf. Students are responsible for the annual renewal of the residence permit.

Foreign nationals, who already live in Switzerland and have a valid Swiss residence permit for purposes other than studying, are requested to send a copy of the permit to the International Office prior to the start of their studies.


Non-EU/EFTA nationals need a student visa to enter Switzerland. Students must be at least 18 and no more than 30 years old before the start of their studies. Language certification, proof of financial means and other supporting documents are required for visa application. University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons submits an application to the cantonal migration authorities and the student applies at the Swiss consulate abroad. Students should refer to the website of the Swiss Embassy/Consulate for country-specific visa requirements.



Student residence 'Konvikt'

The University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons has an agreement with the student residence 'Konvikt' and rents out a limited number of rooms to international students. The rent per semester (five months) is CHF 3633. Included in this fee are half board and all utility costs. Contact the international office concerning availability.


Shared flats

Students can search for a room in a shared flat via the University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons accommodation platform (in German).

The International Office can put international students in touch with outgoing exchange students, who rent out furnished rooms in shared flats for one semester. Contact the international office about availability.


Private flats

Students looking for their own private flat can refer to the following websites:


For further accommodation options in Chur, consult the housing list.



Health and accident insurance

It is compulsory for all residents in Switzerland to have basic health and accident insurance coverage according to the Swiss KVG Health Insurance Act.

Students can request University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons to set up an insurance policy on their behalf or can find their own Swiss health insurance company. To compare monthly premiums and different insurance companies, students can refer to the following websites:

Foreign students who have a foreign health insurance policy that meets the same Swiss basic legal KVG requirements may be eligible for exemption.

Residents of EU/EFTA countries who have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) must submit a copy of their valid EHIC card when applying for exemption. Students with private insurance providers must give details of their policy and an exemption form signed by the foreign insurance company. The application for exemption is evaluated by local municipal authorities on arrival in Switzerland and is not guaranteed.

There are private insurance companies offering cheaper insurance packages for international students. Most of those insurance companies are not recognised in the canton of Graubünden. The insurance company SWISSCARE offers a student pass insurance package, which is currently recognised in the canton of Graubünden.


Personal liability insurance

If you cause damage or loss to a third party (intentionally or unwittingly) you can be held liable for compensation claims.

It is therefore strongly recommended that students take out personal liability insurance.

What is personal liability insurance and how does it work? Students should refer to the website to get further information about it.

The comparison website offers quotes for personal liability insurance.


Living and Working

Living and Working

Living Costs

Students should calculate between CHF 1500-2000 CHF per month for living costs. This estimated range depends on the lifestyle of the student.

For a more detailed estimate of living costs students can refer to the website (in German, French or Italian):


Working in Switzerland

EU/EFTA nationals are allowed to work up to 15 hours per week and full time during the semester breaks. An additional authorisation letter from the cantonal migration authorities is required, which is applied for by the employer.

Non-EU/EFTA nationals are not permitted to work in Switzerland.

Portrait Lee Selah
'If I could choose a place to go on an exchange again, why not Chur? The food, the nature and the...
'If I could choose a place to go on an exchange again, why not Chur? The food, the nature and the great people will always be missed.'
Selah Lee, exchange student
'I am very happy to have chosen FH Graubünden. Living in the mountains is a unique experience. The...
'I am very happy to have chosen FH Graubünden. Living in the mountains is a unique experience. The new knowledge and experiences that I have gained have made me grow. I have also improved my German skills, becoming more fluent.'
Paula Liras Ripoll, exchange student from the University of the Balearic Islands Mallorca


University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons
International Office
Comercialstrasse 24
(Office F0.02)
7000 Chur

Opening hours International Office

Monday to Friday: 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.
Afternoons: by appointment

International Student Guide